Thursday, September 17, 2009

Writing Journal Assignment #2

Hello Everyone,

For your second Writing Journal assignment, please read the following article: “You Have Too Much Mail" by Christopher F. Chabris, Wall Street Journal. (Eastern Edition). New York, N.Y.: Dec 15, 2008. p. A.17

- From Falvey Library's homepage (on the left side), choose "Databases A-Z."
- Then choose "ABI/INFORM Global (ProQuest)."
- Next, click on the "Publications" tab.
- Choose Wall Street Journal: Eastern Edition.
- Write the article’s title or author in the “Search for articles . . .” data field, and perform your search.

You’re welcome to respond to the article however you wish. I do encourage you, though, to consider the following:

Consider the situation described in the first paragraph. How does it compare to your own experience?

Do you accept the writer’s ideas about technology’s affect on productivity? why or why not?
Do you agree with the writer’s ideas about multi-tasking and our brains’ limits when paying careful attention? why or why not?

Are the writer’s ideas about the “mismatch between our modern lives and ancient brains” persuasive? why or why not?

Please include the following information as a heading on your work:

Your name
Eng1050 – 20
Writing Journal Assignment #2

Please post your Writing Journal response to this article (200 - 250 words) by Thursday, September 24, 2009.

Have a good day.

Mr. Dierkes

4 comments:

  1. Matt Casalaina
    English 1050-20
    Writing Journal Assignment #2

    The world has indeed turned to a lifestyle based on multi-tasking. In this fast-paced society, it is impossible not to be thinking about a thousand things while actually doing eighty of them. Because of the Internet and instant interconnectivity, people want things to be done quicker and more efficiently. It is no wonder why employees are attempting to do everything at once; they have no other choice.

    As I read the first article, it seemed as if the author was describing my own computer screen. I always have multiple browsers open and different processes running. That way, I can have easy access to all the tasks I have to do throughout my day. I think that it is an effective way to prioritize when I know that everything is right in front of me. I see the author’s point that technology brings about distractions and at points can actually get in the way of productivity. However, I think technology is so important; the distractions it brings are trivial compared to the benefits it serves to society. I cannot look around without seeing that we are in the age of information. Devices like computers, smart-phones, and televisions make our world tiny. The Internet makes the friend you are conversing with in China your neighbor. The headlines you read an hour ago are old news. Since I have been writing on this blog, thousands of websites have been formed, spreading information all over the world.

    To blame technology as a burden to society is to blame washing your car as the reason for the rain the following day; the two are in no way related. As always, it is up to the individual to prioritize their time. It is their responsibility to delegate certain tasks, and not to be tempted by distractions that may arise. I do not find the writer’s argument about the struggle between our brains and ancient brains persuasive. Yes, there has been an introduction of endless magnetizing information that makes the most menial thing seem important. But I still make people accountable for the choices they make, and the tasks they choose to focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha Cerasiello
    Eng 1050-20
    Writing Journal Assignment #2

    I read this article while sitting in Microbiology lecture- switching my attention between reading a few sentences, listening to the symptoms of Lyme’s Disease, chatting with a friend on Facebook, and sorting through my three different E-mail accounts. These were just the things I was physically doing. My mind was racing with dozens of other items I needed to do or talk about with someone. I actually laughed out loud when I began to read the article and realized I was doing exactly what the author was talking about. I spent the rest of the class thinking about how busy my life is and how it is nearly impossible for me to relax-especially at college. My mind traveled to my desk back at my room where I knew there were five “to-do” lists, CDs, books, papers, and Post-Its reminding me where I need to be at each time of the day. There is no time of the day where there is silence or just one activity being focused on. The typical college dorm room at anytime has two friends, music playing, the TV on, and computers being used. There is a constant bombardment of stimuli for the brain. Most people cannot even walk from one place to another without an iPod in their ears. It sounds like a problem, but it is the only way I know how to survive.
    I do agree with the author that our addiction to multi-tasking is a problem for productivity. I cannot even write this response without toggling between Microsoft Word and Facebook. I never seem to finish anything after I begin it. Many times I become bored, causing myself to switch my focus to something new, while promising to return to the task at hand later. This damages the quality of the work because I lose my train of thought. While the internet and other technology give us the opportunity to do incredible things, they have diminished our attention span and overloaded our brains too much to do them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe its coincidence but while I was reading this article and typing up this blog, I had about 9 windows open on my laptop. I was simultaneously reading the article while checking my Villanova, and yahoo email, Facebook profile, researching my study abroad classes at University of Melbourne, glancing at the Wall Street Journal to see how the market did, and trying to do some accounting homework. My desk is surrounded by sticky notes reminding me of my various meetings, practices, projects, and test that I had to attend and study for. Similar to what the writer was talking about in the first paragraph.
    Amazingly, I finished the article while juggling everything else and feel the writer hit the mark about technology’s adverse affect on productivity. Though technology has definitely approved our way of life by making information readily available at our fingertips, it has also created more distractions for us to contend with. I feel that had I just focused on thing at a time I could get more done efficiently and the work would be of higher quality.
    But I can never force myself to do that, like the writer said our ancient brains cannot cope with the modern world. What I learned in Psychology classes is that though our brain has infinity amount of storage capacity, it has a very, very limited channels for information to flow into it. Our short-term memory was not designed for multitasking and we are easily distracted because we have to assess whether the new stimuli is a threat or not. For our brains to keep up with the modern world we would have to totally restructure the way the brain works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having read just the first paragraph, I could already relate to the author. While writing this, I have various programs open on my computer screen as well as papers completely scattered on my desk in an attempt to complete all my tasks for the day. It is called multitasking, something common among college students. In my opinion, seeing all the things I need to get done at once is what motivates me to keep working. In addition, I can prioritize and see what I should try and get finished first.

    The author brings about the understandable point that using technology to finish tasks leads to distractions. I can relate to this because technology can be used as a tool to get work done and be used for entertainment. Sometimes, it is difficult to focus in your work and you decide to take a quick break and hopefully relieve relieve some stress. Then, BOOM! Next thing you know you’re “facebooking”, “youtubing”, or “skyping” for about an hour. Evidently, it is time wasted as you know you have more important priorities at hand. So much for being productive…

    Even though technology can be a distraction, it is something that is changing the world to make people work quickly and efficiently. To write a paper on the computer rather than by hand is quicker (plus you can always press the backspace rather than have to erase or use whiteout). To research on the computer is faster than having to commute to the library and search through a myriad of books. (sometimes the book you need might even be checked out). To communicate through email, chatting, or using a cell phone is definitely faster than snail mail. People are now easily contactable which is especially important in emergency situations. As time passes, there has been numerous improvements in technology which have been beneficial to how we can quickly achieve more. Technology is only a distraction if one allows it to be. If one has the right mentality, then it is only practical that their focus and drive will allow them to finish the task at hand; nothing should falter them from their goal.

    ReplyDelete