Thursday, September 17, 2009

Assignment 1

Finding accurate information in today’s society is a difficult assignment, but finding time to find truthful answers is an even more challenging task. After reading Hesse’s article I am inclined to agree that people’s apathy toward finding credible sources is upsetting, but at the same time I can regrettably understand why it has become a problem. The average college student is not only burdened with a heavy course load and pressure to receive good grades, but is undoubtedly involved in activities on and off campus. The adult in today’s society is also constantly busy, and I can understand not wanting to search through books or many internet sites to find a reliable answer. When I perform a Google search Wikipedia is generally the first hit I receive, and if I am in a rush I will scan it over to find the information I am looking for. If the information is not there the next available source is used. If I have time I will check other references to ensure the accuracy of the answer I have obtained, but sometimes it is just not feasible in the fast-paced lifestyle I lead. Our generation has become accustomed to finding things instantaneously and many have blamed laziness and apathy, but I truly believe it is because our lifestyle does not allow for anything less. One is constantly moving from one assignment to another and going to the library to check out a book interferes with the system we have developed to cope with the demands put upon us.

This is not to say I believe all assignments and tasks can be raced through using Wikipedia. Research papers deserve the time and dedication from the student, but that is not to say that the internet cannot serve as a good starting point. I have had teachers and professors that will not allow Wikipedia as a source or limit the number of internet sources one can use, and I understand why. It allows the student to learn what a credible source looks like; a skill one will probably need in any profession, from doctor to lawyer to businessman. I believe discerning fact from opinion is a skill that everyone constantly works on, for there is bias everywhere, even when the information is supposed to be objective. I also believe it is human nature to gravitate toward information that agrees with our own opinions, and people will dismiss credible information as opinion if other credible resources more in concurrence with their opinions are presented. Avoiding prejudice and bias is more difficult than just finding a reliable source.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry for completely posting in the wrong place! I cannot figure out how to delete it.

    ReplyDelete